Martha Kime Piper Award
The Martha Kime Piper award, named for the first woman president of a public higher education institution in the state, is given annually to recognize a woman with a record of advancing and supporting women in higher education and the education of women in South Carolina.
Presidents of SC higher education institutions are contacted annually to nominate a qualified candidate from their institution. A Committee of the Executive Board of South Carolina Women in Higher Education selects the Piper Award winner from among the nominees. The following criteria with percentage weights should be used in considering a nominee for the award.
- The recipient must have a record of participation in and support for the activities of South Carolina Women in Higher Education (SCWHE). (35%)
- The recipient must hold or have held a position in higher education in a South Carolina institution of higher education. (25%)
- The recipient must have a record of advancing and supporting women in higher education and the education of women throughout the state of South Carolina. (20%)
- The recipient must have achieved professional recognition for outstanding leadership and contributions to her institution or state. (20%)
Nominations should include:
- A one-page letter of nomination describing how the nominee has fulfilled the criteria for selection with special emphasis on the nominee’s involvement in the S.C. Women in Higher Education.
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Two (2) letters of support.
Current members of the Executive Board of South Carolina Women in Higher Education are not eligible for nomination, nor may they make nominations. Former winners have included faculty members, administrators and presidents from a number of South Carolina institutions.
The deadline for nominations is Monday, December 7, 2015. The award will be presented at the SCWHE Annual Conference on Thursday, February 25, 2016 in Charleston, SC. Nomination packets should be emailed to the Chair of the Selection Committee for the Martha Kime Piper Award, Siobhan Brownson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-323-4485, by midnight of the deadline date.